The Institute of Systematic Biology
The Institute of Systematic Biology (SBI) of Daugavpils University (Latvia) is founded at 2005. The mission of Institute is scientific research in field of Systematic Biology.
Main objectives of SBI are:
- implementation of research projects;
- progress of the science of Systematic Biology and development of the Scientific school of Daugavpils University;
- professional growth of scientific staff and research base development;
- creation and maintenance scientific collections;
- scientific publication's (journals, monographs, papers) issuing;
- organizing scientific conferences and seminars;
- promoting cooperation of scientists in local, national and international level;
- participation in the study programs implementation;
- popularization of Science;
- organizing other activities in the field of scientific research (expeditions, student camps, etc.).
The research in fields of taxonomy, systematics and biogeography is conducted by SBI mainly in flora and fauna of Baltic Sea basin. Some taxonomic groups are being explored in world fauna and flora.
There are scientific collections of beetles and molluscs as well as herbarium created and maintained by SBI.